How do I install the program on our network? Applies to the Client/Server version of the program only.
The Network version of the program has a Server and Client component and can run on both Windows or Mac networks.
EdAlive Server Installation:
- Install the server program, called the EdAlive Server, on your network server computer, or another computer on your network.
- Start the EdAlive Server. If you are using Windows and chose to install the EdAlive Server to run as a service, you will need to start the service from the Windows Services Window
- If you installed the EdAlive Server on a Mac computer (or on a Windows computer as a regular application), you should see one or more module windows. (Each module window displays information about a particular type of client program. For example, if you are going to be using the network versions of both BRAINtastic! and Typing Tournament, you should see a module window for each of these two programs). When the module windows appear, the EdAlive Server is ready to accept connections from the client programs.
Note: Once you install and run the EdAlive Server, a folder called “moduledata” is created (see this post to see where the “moduledata” folder is located on your system). All group/user data and settings are stored within the “moduledata” folder. If you experience some sort of permission issue, check to see that the appropriate users have full read/write access to this folder.
- Using the same Network CD, install the client program on each network computer.
Note: See this post for information on network deployment of the client program.
- Start the client program.
- The client program should scan the network and automatically connect to the EdAlive Server. See this topic if the client application cannot connect to the EdAlive Server.